Furnaces usually stop working after there is no fuel in the tank. They work for a while and then shut off automatically. Propane-based furnaces are still in use in large numbers as they are cheaper than electric furnaces. You can restart a furnace easily after filling the propane tank or replacing it with a new one.
Also, if your furnace isn’t starting even after you’ve filled out the propane tank, this might be due to air in the gas valves. Let the air dissipate first and then start the furnace again. If the problem persists, you can call in a professional.
How To Get The Furnace To Restart After Running Out Of Propane?
You can easily restart the furnace on your own, without any professional help. But always be careful and alert while performing home repairs. Follow these steps to restart your furnace after running out of propane –
- Locate the breaker box of the furnace and turn the knob off. Mostly it is located at the bottom of the furnace.
- Secondly, you need to turn the main power to the furnace off.
- Now, remove the panel that provides you access to the pilot light. The light is an important part of the furnace and is vital for re-igniting the furnace. The location of the pilot light differs according to the make and model of the furnace.
- Locate the propane gas control valve (a round knob) and then turn it to the off position. Keep it turned off for 5 minutes or more to let the gas in the valves completely dissipate.
- Now turn on the propane gas valve quickly- to prevent any damage.
- Now ignite the pilot light again. You need to keep the knob for the pilot light pushed while bringing a lit match to the pilot light’s opening. Make sure that the flame is burning brightly and is blue.
- Turn the breaker knob on and start it again.
- Now locate the propane gas control valve knob and turn it to ‘ON’ position. Also, make sure to turn the main power switch of the furnace on.
- Observe the furnace for a few minutes to see if there is still an issue. If there is any other issue, look up ‘ heating service in Lawrenceville ‘ on the internet and contact us right away.
An Alternative Way For Restarting The Furnace
There is another way to restart the furnace which is less complicated than the first one. You can use this method to restart the furnace without any expert consultation –
- Turn off the gas valves of the furnace to prevent the flow of propane.
- Turn on the burner now.
- Let the burner burn for a couple of minutes to let the residual gas from the valves and airflow out.
- Now open the gas valves of the furnace slowly and restart the furnace again.
- Repeat this process until the furnace burns without any issues.
Your furnace will restart after these efforts and will run without any other problems. However, it is always recommended to check in with professionals at each step.